This Activities Assistant assists in providing for an ongoing program of activities designed to meet, in accordance with the comprehensive assessment, the interests and the physical, mental, and psychosocial well-being of each resident. The Activity Assistant carries out a program of activities, which will provide entertainment, intercommunication, exercise, relaxation, opportunity to express creative talent, and fulfill basic psychological, social, and spiritual needs for residents; in conjunction with the Activities Director.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Involves the resident/family in the planning of activities as much as possible.
- Documents activities offered for residents.
- Documents the activities the resident attends and/or participates in.
- Charts resident’s progress or changes.
- Is an active part of the Care Plan Team.
- Attends care conference in the absence of or at the request of the Director of Activities.
- Plans activities for the group as well as for individual residents.
- Creative and thinks of new activity ideas, keeping in mind the likes and dislikes of each resident.
- Provides variety and enthusiasm in the activities.
- Makes use of community resources when available and needed.
- Maintains good public relations with the community and families.
- Encourage hobbies and crafts and provide materials in keeping with the resident’s status and department budget.
- Transports residents to and from doctor/dentist appointments as per facility policy.
- Follows care plans, encourages residents to participate in as many activities as they are able.
- Assists with feeding residents at all meals while present in the building.
- Assists with cooking at BBQ’s, special dinners and or other time deemed necessary.
- Notifies charge nurse of any person leaving on outings, any changes in resident condition and any occurrences that may happen during activities or on outings.
- Encourage residents to participate in religious services of their choice, help make arrangements for 1:1 pastoral services if desired.
- Assists the Director of Activities in planning parties, providing games, and encouraging residents to assist in the planning process; such as making table decorations, wrapping gifts, trimming room or area, and other similar activities.
- Follows activities schedule.
- Assures that the activity scheduled is completed.
- Provides 1:1’s with residents who do not do well in a group setting.
- Provides person appropriate and individualized activities for all depending on cognitive level.
- Assures each resident gets to participate in equal activities regardless of care needs or cognitive level.
- Assists Nursing/CNA staff with getting residents ready for activities and when returning from activities.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Director of Activities and/or Director of Nursing Services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Adheres to dress code, appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual education requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements, including all federal, state, local regulations and accrediting organization standards.
- Maintains and ensures resident confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled.
- Wears identification while on duty.
- Attends annual review.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Attends committee and meetings, as appropriate.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility.
- Required: High School Diploma or equivalent
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Director of Activities
- Resident Care Manager
- Director of Nursing