Ensuring that the operating room is adequately prepared for surgical procedures, assisting the surgeon during operative and invasive procedures, cleans and sterilizes all surgical instruments, monitors inventory of supplies and surgical instruments to keep readily available for use, participates in Quality Improvement initiatives with department and attends all department staff meetings for the latest updates and information.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Interacts professionally and respectfully with patient and family; treating and keeping patient dignity, safety, and privacy as the highest priority.
- Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
- Provides patient with explanations and verbal reassurance, as necessary.
- Closely observes patient with minimal disturbance.
- Maintains safe environment for patient, co-workers and self, per hospital policies and procedures.
- Adapts procedures to meet individual needs of neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients for treatment.
- Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure.
- Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
- Assists in positioning, prepping and draping of patients for surgical procedures.
- Notifies appropriate licensed staff when patient complains of pain.
- Accurately completes operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to Circulating RN and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
- Carries out medical/surgical asepsis during treatments/procedures.
- Checks all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning.
- Follows aseptic technique, when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
- Is fully responsible for care of instruments/equipment during intra/postoperative phase, including cleaning and processing of instruments.
- Follows written procedures for steam sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Always maintains an orderly and sterile instrument table for the purpose of efficiency; follows department standard set up.
- Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
- Performs services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of Circulating RN.
- Passes instruments and supplies to the surgeon during the procedure.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon during intraoperative phase.
- Holds retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary and organizes effectively for end-of-case clean up.
- Completes documentation within shift and meets current standards, policies and procedures.
Education, Experience & Certification/Licensure
- High School Diploma or GED
- Graduate of Surgical Technology Program
- Active/Unencumbered Surgical Technologist Certification (CST) through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA)
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) through the American Heart Association (AHA)
- 3 years of working experience in the Operating Room.
For More Information, Contact
Dalaney Tuholski, Human Resources Recruiter
firstname.lastname@example.org | 541-640-6901
Why Blue Mountain Hospital District & Grant County?
The Blue Mountain Hospital District (BMHD) is located in Grant County, Oregon, at the heart of the John Day River, in beautiful, rural, Eastern Oregon. Our District is comprised of a Critical Access Hospital (CAH), Family & Rural Medicine Clinic, Home Health and Hospice, Emergency Medical Services, an Intermediate Care Center and all of the supporting ancillary departments necessary to care for the health and wellness of our community.
Our District spans from John Day to Prairie City, nestled in a valley surrounded by the Blue Mountains. The Strawberry Mountain Range and John Day River Valley offers a variety of outdoor activities, from abundant hiking/mountain biking/horse riding trails, to high and low lakes and ponds. Our area is known to be a “go to” place not just for recreation, but also for big game hunting and fishing!
Join our family-like team and settle into a lifestyle that is hard to beat!