The Clinical Laboratory Assistant II will perform venipuncture techniques to obtain quality blood samples from patients and prepares those specimens for medical testing. Has direct contact with patients and must create an atmosphere of trust and confidence while explaining procedures and drawing blood specimens in a skillful, safe and accurate manner.
Will prepare blood samples following strict safety precautions. Must work well under pressure and be sensitive to confidentiality and accuracy in recording a patient’s blood history. Will assist MLT/MTs in performing the full range of laboratory tests provided by BMHD—Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, Serology, Microbiology, and Blood Bank. Will perform proficiency testing and QA/QI improvements. Will perform QC testing, and result out patients within the limits of the training and complexities allowed by BMHD.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Greets and welcomes patients using AIDET methodologies, verifies patient identification, verifies tests ordered by the physician and checks specimen requirements before performing phlebotomy procedure
- Collects and prepares samples for analysis accurately and skillfully; evaluates suitability of the specimens, appropriately accepting or rejecting them according to laboratory policy.
- Performs venipuncture or capillary collection of blood specimens using proper techniques, paying attention to the proper order of tube collection as well as labeling tubes in the patient’s presence.
- Assists in the processing of specimens; distributes paperwork and specimens to appropriate departments or according to the reference lab test directory for send-outs.
- Uses the lab computer system: order entry for patient testing, patient inquiries for finding specific patient results, adding tests on previously collected samples.
- Restocks and tracks inventory in the phlebotomy room, mobile blood drawing trays, and in the E.R. lab supply drawer.
- Collects samples for pre-employment, DOT and random urine samples for drug testing while maintaining chain of custody as required by specific order set.
- Collects non-DOT and DOT breath alcohol samples testing while maintaining chain of custody as required by specific order set.
- After training under the supervision of an MLT/MLS, will be performing and resulting out patients and QC as allowed by complexity, in which will not allow any High Complexity Testing.
- Will perform Proficiency testing as required that fall within the training and complexity of BMHD.
- Will assist the Laboratory Director in QA/QI procedures and new implementations as necessary.
- After training, will result out Reference lab results as necessary.
- Will assist in operating complex automated laboratory equipment, electronic equipment, computer software, and precision instruments, and provide troubleshooting on such instruments as far as possible. The Clinical Laboratory Assistant will perform routine maintenance, calibrations, and other duties for the instrumentation as directed by Laboratory Director.
- Understands and adhere to HIPAA policies, procedures, and regulations to assure patient confidentiality.
- Performs all other work related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Maintains self-motivation and sustains a high level of momentum.
- Able to successfully prioritize when faced with requests, demands and deadlines.
- Knowledge of customer service concepts.
- Must be extremely detail oriented and able to perform accurate and thorough recordkeeping.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both in written and oral form.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, in a fast-paced production-oriented environment.
- Ability to prioritize, highly organized.
Education, Experience & Certification/Licensure
- High school diploma or GED. Certification as a Clinical Laboratory Assistant or 2 years Previous experience as a Clinical Laboratory Assistant.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biology or another Science.
- Successful completion of a nationally accredited clinical laboratory science program
- Successful completion of an internship while actively enrolled in and progressing through a nationally accredited clinical laboratory science program
- Knowledge of specimen handling and collection requirements, general laboratory workflow, and basic medical terminology
- Experience with drug screen specimen collection and basic specimen selection, handling, and storage activities, preferred.
- Clinical Laboratory Assistant Certification from the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
For More Information, Contact
Dalaney Tuholski, Human Resources Recruiter
firstname.lastname@example.org | 541-640-6901
Why Blue Mountain Hospital District & Grant County?
The Blue Mountain Hospital District (BMHD) is located in Grant County, Oregon, at the heart of the John Day River, in beautiful, rural, Eastern Oregon. Our District is comprised of a Critical Access Hospital (CAH), Family & Rural Medicine Clinic, Home Health and Hospice, Emergency Medical Services, an Intermediate Care Center and all of the supporting ancillary departments necessary to care for the health and wellness of our community.
Our District spans from John Day to Prairie City, nestled in a valley surrounded by the Blue Mountains. The Strawberry Mountain Range and John Day River Valley offers a variety of outdoor activities, from abundant hiking/mountain biking/horse riding trails, to high and low lakes and ponds. Our area is known to be a “go to” place not just for recreation, but also for big game hunting and fishing!
Join our family-like team and settle into a lifestyle that is hard to beat!
For more information on our area, visit our Grant County Chamber of Commerce and Discover John Day pages at: https://www.gcoregonlive.com/ and https://www.discoverjohnday.com/