The Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) is responsible for performing laboratory tests in the clinical laboratory for use in treatment and diagnosis of diseases. MLS follows the laboratory policies and procedures in accordance with all regulatory agency requirements while maintaining all necessary records of documentation as directed by the department policies.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Collects and prepares samples for analysis accurately and skillfully; evaluates suitability of the specimens, appropriately accepting or rejecting them according to laboratory policy.
- Performs clinical laboratory tests and chemical, microscopic, and bacteriologic procedures using special lab equipment or instrumentation.
- Analyzes blood, urine, and body fluid specimens.
- Orders, evaluates, records, and prints test results using lab computer.
- Performs quality controls and documents QC for each lab procedure on a daily basis, as well as any reagents, media and products.
- Evaluates results of quality control, implements corrective action when indicated and documents actions; reports problems to supervisor.
- Participates in external proficiency testing on a regular and rotating basis to demonstrate competency.
- Performs preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment as necessary.
- Conducts performance checks and calibrates laboratory instrumentation in all areas of the lab.
- Determines the priority of laboratory requests to arrange workload to provide for optimal patient care and optimal efficiency.
- Demonstrate ability to learn and maintain appropriate technical skills to effectively provide accurate laboratory analysis.
- Displays a thorough understanding of science and laboratory procedures, specialized medical diagnostic laboratory tests, blood test procedures, and medical terminology in order to perform specialized medical laboratory diagnostic tests.
- Scope of knowledge includes chemistry, hematology, serology, microbiology, blood banking, urinalysis, and specimen processing for specimens sent to contracted reference labs.
- Maintains self-motivation and sustains a high level of momentum.
- Able to successfully prioritize when faced with requests, demands and deadlines.
- Knowledge of customer service concepts.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and able to perform accurate and thorough record and data keeping.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both in written and oral form.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, in a fast-paced production-oriented environment.
- Exhibit professional behavior while being caring and compassionate.
- Customer Focus – dedicated to meeting the expectations of the internal customer. Demonstrate sensitivity, empathy, concern and respect for others. Act with the patient care in mind, gain trust and respect by building and maintaining effective relationships.
- Maintain confidentiality – in accordance with hospital and HIPAA regulations.
Education, Experience & Certification/Licensure
- Bachelor degree in biological or chemical science, medical technology or clinical laboratory science and certification-eligible.
- MLS –ASCP certified Medical Laboratory Scientist within one year from date of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree and Medical Lab Scientist ASCP Certification-Eligible. Working experience in a clinical laboratory setting.
- Relevant ASCP Certification
For More Information, Contact
Dalaney Tuholski, Human Resources Recruiter
email@example.com | 541-640-6901
Why Blue Mountain Hospital District & Grant County?
The Blue Mountain Hospital District (BMHD) is located in Grant County, Oregon, at the heart of the John Day River, in beautiful, rural, Eastern Oregon. Our District is comprised of a Critical Access Hospital (CAH), Family & Rural Medicine Clinic, Home Health and Hospice, Emergency Medical Services, an Intermediate Care Center and all of the supporting ancillary departments necessary to care for the health and wellness of our community.
Our District spans from John Day to Prairie City, nestled in a valley surrounded by the Blue Mountains. The Strawberry Mountain Range and John Day River Valley offers a variety of outdoor activities, from abundant hiking/mountain biking/horse riding trails, to high and low lakes and ponds. Our area is known to be a “go to” place not just for recreation, but also for big game hunting and fishing!
Join our family-like team and settle into a lifestyle that is hard to beat!
For more information on our area, visit our Grant County Chamber of Commerce and Discover John Day pages at: https://www.gcoregonlive.com/ and https://www.discoverjohnday.com/