The Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is responsible for performing laboratory tests in the clinical laboratory for use in treatment and diagnosis of diseases. The MLT follows the laboratory policies and procedures in accordance with all regulatory agency requirements while maintaining all necessary records of documentation as directed by the department policies.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Collects and prepares samples for analysis accurately and skillfully; evaluates suitability of the specimens, appropriately accepting or rejecting them according to laboratory policy.
- Performs clinical laboratory tests and chemical, microscopic, and bacteriologic procedures using special lab equipment or instrumentation.
- Analyzes blood, urine, and body fluid specimens.
- Orders, evaluates, records, and prints test results using lab computer.
- Performs quality controls and documents QC for each lab procedure on a daily basis, as well as any reagents, media and products.
- Evaluates results of quality control, implements corrective action when indicated and documents actions; reports problems to supervisor.
- Participates in external proficiency testing on a regular and rotating basis to demonstrate competency.
- Performs preventative maintenance on laboratory equipment as necessary.
- Conducts performance checks and calibrates laboratory instrumentation in all areas of the lab.
- Determines the priority of laboratory requests to arrange workload to provide for optimal patient care and optimal efficiency.
- Demonstrate ability to learn and maintain appropriate technical skills to effectively provide accurate laboratory analysis.
- Displays a thorough understanding of science and laboratory procedures, specialized medical diagnostic laboratory tests, blood test procedures, and medical terminology in order to perform specialized medical laboratory diagnostic tests.
- Scope of knowledge includes chemistry, hematology, serology, microbiology, blood banking, urinalysis, and specimen processing for specimens sent to contracted reference labs.
- Maintains self-motivation and sustains a high level of momentum.
- Able to successfully prioritize when faced with requests, demands and deadlines.
- Knowledge of customer service concepts.
- Establish & maintain solid work relationships, through communication, cooperation, and positive interaction with all employees, staff and physicians.
- Approachability – build rapport by making the effort to be cooperative and adaptive, put others at ease, and support co-workers.
- Listening – practice active listening; display patience when listening to the views of others, and discuss differing opinions with an open mind.
- Problem Solving – work with others to prevent problems & find a solution when issues arise.
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and able to perform accurate and thorough record and data keeping.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both in written and oral form.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, in a fast-paced production-oriented environment.
- Exhibit professional behavior while being caring and compassionate.
- Customer Focus – dedicated to meeting the expectations of the internal customer. Demonstrate sensitivity, empathy, concern and respect for others. Act with the patient care in mind, gain trust and respect by building and maintaining effective relationships.
- Maintain confidentiality – in accordance with hospital and HIPAA regulations.
- Self-motivated and contribute to new ideas.
- Improvements – initiate improvements and apply new methods of working to help achieve goals.
- Learning on the go – develop an action plan when facing new problems, and be open to change.
Education, Experience & Certification/Licensure
- Associate of Science Medical Laboratory Technician
- Education and training equivalent to an associate degree in laboratory science to include 24 semester hours of science courses that include (i) Six semester hours of chemistry; (ii) Six semester hours of biology; and (iii) Twelve semester hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination and at least three months of documented laboratory training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
- On or before 2/28/92 qualified or could have qualified as a technologist under 42 CFR 493.1433 laboratory regulations published March 14, 1990 (55 FR 9538)
- High school graduate or equivalent and qualified to perform high complexity testing prior to April 24, 1995.
- On or before April 24, 1995, with a high school diploma or equivalent and have successfully completed at least a 50 week official US military medical laboratory procedures course and have held the military enlisted occupational specialty of Medical laboratory Specialist (Laboratory Technician).
- Graduate from accredited Medical Technician Associates program.
- ASCP certified Medical Technician within one year from date of hire.
- Requirement specific in CLIA88 to perform high complexity testing.
- Relevant ASCP Certification
For More Information, Contact
Dalaney Tuholski, Human Resources Recruiter
email@example.com | 541-640-6901
Why Blue Mountain Hospital District & Grant County?
The Blue Mountain Hospital District (BMHD) is located in Grant County, Oregon, at the heart of the John Day River, in beautiful, rural, Eastern Oregon. Our District is comprised of a Critical Access Hospital (CAH), Family & Rural Medicine Clinic, Home Health and Hospice, Emergency Medical Services, an Intermediate Care Center and all of the supporting ancillary departments necessary to care for the health and wellness of our community.
Our District spans from John Day to Prairie City, nestled in a valley surrounded by the Blue Mountains. The Strawberry Mountain Range and John Day River Valley offers a variety of outdoor activities, from abundant hiking/mountain biking/horse riding trails, to high and low lakes and ponds. Our area is known to be a “go to” place not just for recreation, but also for big game hunting and fishing!
Join our family-like team and settle into a lifestyle that is hard to beat!