The RN Circulator manages all necessary care or tasks inside the surgery room; assisting the team in maintaining and creating a comfortable, safe environment for the patient and observing the team from a wide perspective. The RN Circulator must ensure all surgical team members perform in a unified effort. The RN Circulator directs care and the activities of the team for the patient’s best interest. The RN Circulator provides care and support for the patient before, during and after surgery, delivers care to patients utilizing the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. The RN Circulator must collaborate with other professional disciplines to ensure effective patient care delivery and achievement of desired outcomes. Assists the surgeon and the surgical team in their tasks. Performs general nursing duties.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Promotes the mission, vision and values of the BMHD.
- Teaches and directs other surgery staff for maximum utilization of their skills and abilities.
- Demonstrates skills in sterile technique and maintaining the sterile field.
- Familiar with central processing.
- Understands and practices the principles of sterile technique.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of surgical instruments and their applications.
- Ability to perform a head to toe assessment on all patients and reassessments as per policy. This includes neonate, pediatric, adolescent and geriatric patients and the general patient population. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served.
- Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
- Ability to revise plan of care as indicated by the patient response to treatment and overall plan daily for effectiveness.
- Ability to perform point-of-care, interpret, and take appropriate action on test results, per Clinical Laboratory’s and the patient care unit’s policies and procedures..
- Knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and their clinical condition. Follows the seven (7) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
- Formulates a teaching plan based upon identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning, family is included in teaching as appropriate.
- Demonstrates an ability to assist physicians with procedures and perform services requiring technical and manual skills.
- Demonstrates ability to perform treatments and provide services to level of licensure.
- Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
- Functions as a liaison between administration, patients, physicians and other healthcare providers.
- Interacts professionally with patient/family and involves patient/family in the formation of the plan of care.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications, attending webinars, establishing professional networks, participates in professional organizations.
- Any additional duties pertaining to the daily operations of the Nursing Departments as assigned by the Director of Nursing Services.
- Manage patient admission processes to preoperative department.
- Ensure that operative consents are in order.
- Take and record vital signs, initiate IVs to ensure readiness of procedure.
- Ensure that patients are informed about the procedure and who the attending medical staff will be.
- Ensures that operation is on correct patient and correct procedure is being performed.
- Assesses and documents patient’s condition, responds to life saving situations based upon nursing standards and protocol.
- Knowledge and compliance of AORN standards and practices.
- Coordinates and integrates services within department and with other departments.
- Manages coordination and record-keeping of outpatient services provided in the department, as needed or assigned.
- Verifies that narcotics and controlled substances are counted and locked, per hospital policy.
- Provides orientation for new staff members as needed or assigned.
- Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self-motivated.
- Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
Demonstrate ability to maintain a high level of output without sacrificing quality.
- Able to demonstrate and maintain consistent and efficient performance.
- Able to work with small products with repetitive motion and dexterity required.
- Ability to determine appropriate course of action in more complex situations.
- Ability to manage multiple and simultaneous responsibilities and to prioritize scheduling of work.
- Ability to complete work assignments accurately and in a timely manner.
- Completes annual education requirements.
Demonstrate ability to learn and maintain appropriate technical skills to effectively support the electronic medical record system.
- Displays proficient understanding of patient documentation in the electronic medical record.
- Displays the ability to demonstrate leadership, managerial, good interpersonal relationships and the application of sound administrative principles.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written, through e-mail, presentations etc.
- Displays an understanding of the facility’s learning management system and keeping required education up to date.
- Ability to use basic computer functions such as communicating via e-mail, completing computer based education, charting on patients in the electronic medical record.
- Is knowledgeable of equipment within the units such as IV pumps, blood/fluid warmers, lifts, patient monitors and other department specific equipment.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
Establish & maintain solid work relationships, through communication, cooperation, and positive interaction with all employees, staff and physicians.
- Approachability – build rapport by making the effort to be cooperative and adaptive, put others at ease, and support co-workers.
- Listening – practice active listening; display patience when listening to the views of others, and discuss differing opinions with an open mind.
- Problem Solving – work with others to prevent problems & find a solution when issues arise.
- Effectively and consistently communicates administrative directives to personnel and encourages interactive departmental meetings and discussions.
- Staff meetings- Expected to attend departmental staff meetings and other meetings as required by administration.
- Completes orientation skills checklist assigned for departments.
Exhibit professional behavior while being caring and compassionate.
- Customer Focus – dedicated to meeting the expectations of the internal customer. Demonstrate sensitivity, empathy, concern and respect for others. Act with the patient care in mind, gain trust and respect by building, maintaining effective relationships and including patient in care decisions.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with Blue Mountain Hospital policies and federal HIPAA regulations.
- Demonstrate sensitivity, empathy, concern and respect for others. Gain trust and respect by building and maintaining effective relationships.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner at all times.
- Presents a neat and professional appearance.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others including physicians, nurses, administrators, managers, vendors, and other health care industry personnel.
- Acts as charge nurse in Surgical Services.
- Report to the Surgical Services Department Manager/Lead for daily duties.
- Reports to the Director of Nursing Services
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Maintains self-motivation and sustains a high level of momentum.
- Able to successfully prioritize when faced with requests, demands and deadlines.
- Knowledge of customer service concepts.
- Must be extremely detail oriented and able to accurately assess patient and document findings in the electronic medical record.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
- Expresses excellent judgment, discretion and decision making abilities.
- Supports and maintains a culture of safety, quality and positive patient experience.
- Working knowledge of relevant regulatory requirements, CMS, National Patient Safety Goals (NPSGs), HIPPA and continued readiness related to healthcare or hospital standards.
- Ability to prioritize, highly organized.
- High work ethic, low absenteeism, attends staff meetings and other mandatory trainings as required.
Required: Bacherlor’s Degree in Nursing Science
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certified by American Heart Association (AHA).
- Maintain current certifications as listed and recertify prior to expiration date.
- Maintains RN License, in good standing with State of Oregon.
For more information, contact:
Coordinator – Human Resources
email@example.com | (541) 575-3820