The Paramedic provides high quality medical care and works as a member of the emergency medical team, providing pre-hospital care and transportation of sick or injured person(s) to a medical facility. The Paramedic operates emergency medical vehicles in a safe manner, and performs duties assigned by the Director of EMS that further departmental missions such as, but limited to, readiness and improvement in performance and safety.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Respond to emergency medical call and/or inter-facility transfers for sick or injured person(s), following organization and department life support protocols
- Perform patient care per scope of practice and approved protocols, procedures, and policies.
- Operate emergency medical vehicles in a safe manner
- Operate specialized medical equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations
- Monitor and operate communications equipment to maintain contact with the 911 dispatcher, or other emergency responders.
- Communicate with professional medical personnel both in the prehospital and hospital settings to obtain instructions regarding further treatment/transport of sick or injured person(s).
- Extrication of victims from hazardous situations
- Obtain vital statistics and circumstances of injury and/or emergency
- Complete logs and patient reports (paper and/or electronic) in an accurate and timely manner
- Perform inventory of equipment, supply, and training aids
- Perform operator maintenance on emergency vehicles and department equipment
- Maintain work areas in a clean, orderly, and secure manner.
- Maintain cooperative working relationship with hospital staff, patients, other agencies/organizations, and the public to provide quality customer service in a courteous manner.
- Follow all safety rules and procedures for work areas and emergency scenes
- Maintain schedule integrity by fulfilling all scheduled commitments per policy
- Lead continuing education classes and/or training to fellow EMS personnel
- Lead CPR and First Aid classes to BMHD staff, community members, and other organization members as needed.
- Assist in the BMHD ED as requested and needed by the ED staff, and as scheduling and 911 emergency calls allow.
- Perform and/or complete any tasks assigned by the Director of EMS
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Maintains self-motivation and sustains a high level of momentum.
- Able to successfully prioritize when faced with requests, demands and deadlines.
- Knowledge of customer service concepts.
- Must be extremely detail oriented and able to perform accurate and thorough recordkeeping.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both in written and oral form.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, in a fast-paced production-oriented environment.
- Ability to prioritize, highly organized.
Education, Experience & Certification/Licensure
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- At least one (1) year of emergency medical experience at the Paramedic level OR any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skill, and abilities to perform the required duties.
- Current BLS Provider certification
- Current Oregon Paramedic license
- Current and valid driver’s license
- HAZMAT awareness certification
- EVOC certification
- ICS 100.
- NREMT Paramedic certification
- ICS 200
- DPSST Instructor I or equivalent.
For More Information, Contact
Holly Thompson, Human Resources
firstname.lastname@example.org | 541-575-3820
Why Blue Mountain Hospital District & Grant County?
The Blue Mountain Hospital District (BMHD) is located in Grant County, Oregon, at the heart of the John Day River, in beautiful, rural, Eastern Oregon. Our District is comprised of a Critical Access Hospital (CAH), Family & Rural Medicine Clinic, Home Health and Hospice, Emergency Medical Services, an Intermediate Care Center and all of the supporting ancillary departments necessary to care for the health and wellness of our community.
Our District spans from John Day to Prairie City, nestled in a valley surrounded by the Blue Mountains. The Strawberry Mountain Range and John Day River Valley offers a variety of outdoor activities, from abundant hiking/mountain biking/horse riding trails, to high and low lakes and ponds. Our area is known to be a “go to” place not just for recreation, but also for big game hunting and fishing!
Join our family-like team and settle into a lifestyle that is hard to beat!